About Earth Day Network:
Earth Day Network (EDN) is a driving force steering environmental awareness around the world. EDN's network reaches over 20,000 organizations in 190 countries, while the domestic program engages 5,000 groups and over 30,000 educators coordinating millions of community development and environmental protection activities throughout the year. Our mission is to grow and diversify the environmental movement worldwide, and to mobilize it as the most effective vehicle for promoting a healthy, sustainable planet. We pursue our mission through education, politics, events, and consumer activism.
Earth Day Network seeks a dynamic and energetic individual to handle a range of environmental education activities that advance the mission of Earth Day Network’s Education Department, with particular emphasis on managing the department and its programs. The Education Manager liaises with the Director of Education and other relevant staff in supporting Earth Day Network’s school-based environmental education and green school efforts. EDN’s Education Department and its Green Schools Campaign seek to promote environmental education and the greening of all U.S. schools within a generation. Our focus and ongoing initiatives include:
• Creating and providing access to quality educational resources and materials for use by teachers in educating students and promoting sustainability education in and out of the classroom.
• Building a sustained education, advocacy and media campaign on green schools and environmental education to provide communication and resources to teachers, students, and their schools on how to green one’s school.
• Building and maintaining a digital and online presence, including creation of online and web-based education materials, creating and updating webpage content, building digital media and online networks, and assisting in the collection and adaptation of lesson plans from granted teachers and Educators’ Network members.
• Communicating with and expanding EDN’s Educators’ Network through electronic and physical outreach and communication.
• Establishing and maintaining partnerships with local and national organizations, schools, teachers, students and other educational and environmental partners.
• Supporting EDN’s Educators’ Network through programs and projects in support of school greening, civics education and environmental education. For example, EDN’s National Civic Education Project (NCEP), engages urban teachers and their students in civic-minded lessons in environmentally degraded areas, culminating in a civic action for overall community improvement.
• Collaborate with Education Department and other staff to manage incoming requests for curriculum creation, media relations, book/article contributions, etc. as needed.
• Assisting in the implementation of multiple school greening demonstration projects nationwide.
• Working to create and pass national, state, and local public policies to provide funding mechanisms for green schools and environmental education.
The Education Manager will be heavily involved in several of these initiatives, likely to include travel to events or projects throughout the year and especially on or around Earth Day.
For more information and to apply please see: http://www.idealist.org/if/i/en/av/Job/397207-170