After almost two years of development, discussions and hard work by so many, we are now approaching a crucial final vote by the State Board of Education on a Maryland environmental literacy high school graduation requirement. The proposed environmental literacy graduation requirement is slated to be published by MSDE on July 16th followed by a 30-day public comment period.
Over the next few weeks, we will be requesting your assistance demonstrating the broad support for an environmental literacy graduation requirement to the State Board of Education in three critical steps:
1) Contact school board members, on behalf of your organization, and let them know that you support this requirement. THIS NEEDS TO START TODAY!
2) Submit comments on behalf of your organization during the 30-day public comment period, NEXT WEEK--we will circulate details July 19th.
3) Send an action alert to your members so they also can submit comments during the 30-day public comment period. NEXT WEEK--we will circulate details July 19th.
Today, we need you to begin by making at least one contact with a member of the State Board of Education, on behalf of your organization. You can write a letter, or if you have a personal relationship, please plan a call or visit. Contact any school board members that you know, or who represent your area to:
• Show your strong support an environmental literacy graduation requirement
• Encourage inclusion of the environmental literacy graduation requirement in the COMAR graduation requirements section: COMAR 13A.03.02
• Let them know why environmental literacy is important (particularly to Maryland and to your region)
Below is a list of State Board of Education members and the counties in which they work and/or reside. If you do not know a member of the school board or your area is not specifically represented, please address your letter to James H. DeGraffenreidt, President of the Board.
Maryland State Board of Education
Attn: (Board Member)
200 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
(Please blind copy or otherwise notify email@example.com when you contact a board member)
James H. DeGraffenreidt, Jr.
Baltimore City Dr. Charlene M. Dukes
Prince Georges Co. Dr. Mary Kay Finan
Allegany Co. Ivan C.A. Walks, M.D.
Baltimore City & Co. Donna Hill Staton, Esq.
Howard Co. S. James Gates, Jr.
Prince Georges Co. Madhu Sidhu
Guffrie M. Smith, Jr.
Calvert Co. Luisa Montero-Diaz
Prince George's Co.
Montgomery Co. Sayed M. Naved
Montgomery Co. David H. Murray
Prince Georges Co.
This is the moment we have all been waiting for. Maryland is on the verge of being the first state to create a high school graduation requirement for environmental literacy, but this will only happen with your support.
Coordinator Maryland No Child Left Inside Coalition