Park Naturalist/Program Coordinator
Delaware Seashore State Park is seeking a creative and motivated person to help manage interpretive programs and seasonal staff.
Schedule is as follows: Part time schedule for April – October is 37+ hours per week including weekend and evening hours. November – March is 24+ hours per week including weekend and evening hours.
Pay rate: $10.25-$10.75/hour for qualified candidates.
This part-time position has a flexible schedule that will include weekday, evenings, mandatory weekend hours and does notprovide benefits such as vacation, sick leave, medical/dental insurance, or overtime pay.
- Research, develop, schedule, and present interpretive programs
- Primary topics include coastal ecology, marsh ecology, seining, astronomy, water quality, guided hikes, birding, kayaking, fishing, crabbing, etc.
- Assist in other program areas such as historical interpretation, special events, museum tours, craft programs, etc.
- Promote park programs by writing press releases, designing flyers, updating website material, updating bulletin boards, and distributing park brochures around the community
- Assist with training & scheduling of other educators & volunteers
- Organize, schedule, and present scout programs
- Research, order, & maintain all program equipment
- Assist with gift shop and park office permit sales
- Recent graduate of, or working towards, a degree in Biological Sciences, Environmental Science, Environmental Education, or related field
- Minimum 1 year experience presenting interpretive programs designed for people of all ages
- Must be willing to work weekends and 1 night per week
- Excellent customer service skills in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable on/near the water & ability to swim
- Must have valid driver’s license & be in good physical health
- Knowledge of coastal ecology and the mid-Atlantic region
- Experience in marketing, advertising, or journalism
- Experience with kayaking, fishing, and other water-based activities
- NAI Certified Interpretive Guide or teaching experience
- Current First Aid/CPR certification
CLOSING DATE: when filled
To be considered for this position:
Please send by email, mail or FAX cover letter, resume (including 2-3 references), and completed DE State Parks seasonal employment application to -
Jim Hall, Interpretive Manager
Delaware Seashore State Park
Indian River Life-Saving Station Museum
25039 Coastal Highway
Rehoboth Beach DE 19971
The DE State Parks seasonal employment application is available to pick up in person at any Delaware State Park office or you can print it out on-line at http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/parks/Home/Pages/Employment.aspx .