POSITION SUMMARY: The BTW technology educator facilitates day-long, curriculum-based field studies to middle and high schools students in an outdoor setting at national parks in the Potomac watershed. The position also includes contacting teachers, pre- and post-field study classroom visits, data recording and reporting. The technology educator will also be responsible for assisting in implementation of educational technologies to the BTW program, including managing field data collection tools,
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: Bridging the Watershed (BTW) is an outreach program of the Alice Ferguson Foundation in partnership with the National Capital Region of the National Park Service and area schools. BTW’s mission is to provide personally meaningful educational experiences that connect students to their place in the natural and cultural world. The uniqueness of learning through national parks in the Potomac River watershed inspires lifelong civic responsibility. More information about Bridging the Watershed can be found at www.fergusonfoundation.org/btw/btw_index.shtml.
1. Assists in planning and presenting field studies in national and state parks
2. Provides pre-and/or post-field experiences in school classrooms
3. Attend meetings at schools, parks, etc.
4. Maintains program records (e.g., field study reports, updates)
5. Communicates with BTW partners
6. Provides additional support to BTW program (equipment management, contributions to e-newsletter, teacher and ranger training, other duties as assigned) and to AFF
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
1. Bachelor’s degree in science (i.e., environmental science, biology, natural resources) or education with major in science
2. Experience working in the out-of-doors
3. At least 1 year experience presenting education programs, preferably to high school students
4. Exhibits understanding of inquiry-based science
5. Experience working with adolescents
6. Dynamic presentation skills
7. Excellent communication skills
8. Good computer skills (e.g., PC/Windows XP, Microsoft Word, Excel)
9. GIS and spatial analysis proficiency a plus
10. Experience or demonstrated ability to implement new technology
11. Good organization and problem-solving skills
12. Reliable, responsible, able to work independently and as part of a team, and able to problem solve creatively
The BTW educator position requires the use of a personal vehicle for commuting to meetings, field studies, etc.
To apply, email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org